Friday, March 10, 2006

Modest Change 1: Early to Rise

Earlier this year, Merlin suggested that, instead of resolutions and big efforts, people implement fresh starts and modest changes. Here's the first of three posts about some modest changes I've made that have yielded some good benefits.

I've long known that about 70% of my problems would disappear if I just got up a little earlier. I went through a period last month where I was waking earlier than I wanted. Someone in the office suggested I just come in early like a few others of my officemates do and start logging my time. The very next day, I awoke at about 4 a.m. So I got up and made it into the office by 6:30.

My God, the quiet. I sat and focused on my project and got a good chunk done before lunchtime. And I got another good chunk done before I left for the day. I was quietly shocked at how well this weird new behavior worked.

Because we're cursed to work 9-hour days, I previously was getting in at 9 a.m. and leaving about 6 or 6:30 p.m., thus beating the rush-hour traffic both ways. Now, getting in at 7:30 a.m., there's still some rush-rush on the highways, but there's enough time at the end of the day to do my workout and have an evening of relative leisure, instead of cramming a gallon of stuff into a pint pot.

Accepting this behavior means letting go of treasured descriptions of myself as a night owl, as someone who'd rather stay up late than go to bed early. Well, that's still the case. I still prefer staying up late. But the reality of my working life dictates that early-rising more than repays the effort.

I've been able to stick with this schedule rather easily and will continue to do so. If I need to work late, it's fairly painless to stay another hour or two and log some extra time. And, I should note, I've not been troubled by early rising since sticking to my new schedule.