Saturday, May 21, 2005

Stoicism

I was just listening to a BBC Radio4 discussion
on Stoicism and thinking how that and the Tao te Ching seem to be my natural philosophies. I don't know if you've ever heard of Constructive Living, but that's also close to my heart. (Here's another good place to learn about CL.) I wish I could remember their precepts in the heat of the moment, but it's when you're under the gun that you become teachable, or that seems to be my case anyway.

Does Stoicism mean you become a passionless robot? I don't know enough to say. But I think it is useful to channel those passions, to turn that random energy into more useful paths so that you're not damaged by it. And that probably standing a bit back from yourself, and seeing yourself as others see you, may be a very useful self-management strategy.

I was beside myself yesterday at work, pushing to get a project out the door and realizing that there simply wasn't enough time, that you can't pour a quart into a pint pot. I left to get something to eat, came back to the office, sat, and cleaned up what I could. I sent out emails that I think were measured and judicious. And I was counting on the rest I'd get this weekend to give me perspective and new ideas by Monday morning.

My main source for Stoic resources is/was the Ptypes web log (P for Personality Types) (maybe, P for Pita? I didn't know people still used that service.). He seems to try all the new blogging technologies: his Blogger log doesn't seem to work anymore, but he has links to an RSS feed and a Yahoo My Web page.